Sage in Home Can Help You
The Sage Health and Lifestyle icons make it easy for you to factor what matters most in a product purchase.
In the Health & Lifestyle section of our guides, you will find a list of the product features to consider for each of our Sage Health and Lifestyle Icons.
And remember! In the Buying Guide, the Icon will appear in the discussion of features where your concern, such as mobility, should be taken into account.
Mobility at Sage in Home means promoting comfortable and safe movement around the home.
Mobility issues include problems with balance and stability that can lead to a fall while moving about the home:
- Walking and climbing stairs
- Standing up and down and bending
- Transferring from one location to another
The parts of our bodies that contribute to Mobility include the mid to lower torso, the legs, the hips and the back. For those with mobility issues, surgery may improve mobility.
Special care should be taken to make a home safe after hospital discharge and during recovery. Find product ideas for preparing a home after hospitalization here.
Arms & Hands
Our arms are engaged for a number of functions that require strength and the ability to move within a range of motion:
Our hands, fingers and arms require strength for grip and fine motor skills so we can:
- Open items
- Adjust settings
- Turn items off and on
- Press buttons
- Lift or reach items
Consider following the Arms & Hands icon at Sage in Home for these health issues.
The VISION Icon focuses on finding ways to:
- Enhance the ability to see and/or
- Provide an alternative sensory methods or cues to compensate for reduced vision
We guide you through the factors that will help you make a smart choice about vision, such as:
Color, Contrast and Brightness
Improved visibility can be achieved in many ways, some of which may be effective for you and others that aren’t. When the selection requires some careful consideration, our guides will present the issues and provide some of the pros and cons.
Level of Vision Impairment
Some products or product features require a certain level of vision for safe and effective operation. As required, we will discuss when the level of impairment should be a consideration and provide guidance.
Vision impairment may be the result of glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration or other less known conditions.
The HEARING Icon focuses on hearing and communicating. The icon points you to products and product features that:
- Enhance the ability to hear, typically through sound amplification, and/or
- Provide an alternative means of communicating, such as visual cues for receiving and acting on information
Some hearing loss is common as we age. Hearing disorders include tinnitus and Meniere’s disease.
The MEMORY Icon indicates a product or product feature that offers automatic reminders to assist with daily living.
It will help you whether you are:
- Caring for someone who needs to be reminded or prompted about activities or actions, or.
- Seeking ways to make life easier and more enjoyable through reminders or automation.
Technology has a significant impact on automating “living” – from automatically turning on lights when you enter a room to flushing a toilet for you. Technology for monitoring daily living activities is now widely available and is often a “combined” purchase of products and services.
The MEMORY Icon points you to products and product features that:
- Provide reminders or prompts about daily living activities
- Automate simple actions
- Use visual or other sensory cues to prompt memory
- Monitor the activities of daily living
If you are a preparing your home for your grandchildren to visit or helping your parents ensure their home is safe while your children visit, Sage in Home want to help.
This is so important that we have two ways for you to find tips and advice about children in the home:
- The Grandkids icon will indicate that we have a tip or cautionary note about a product and its use if children are in the home.
- The Sage Tip topic - “Multi-Gen/Use” has tips about multigenerational usage and multiple users in a home. “Multi-Gen/Use” is a Safety topic at Sage in Home.
Labelling about Children
Terms such as “child-proof”, “child-safe” and “universal” are used by product manufacturers often with very different meanings. When you follow the Children Icon we will offer explanations of these terms in the context of the specific product.
The GREEN Icon focuses on choices for the environment.
Often Green selections relate to industry ratings and/or certifications by government bodies and other recognized organizations.
You will typically find the Green icon in a Buying Guide around choices relating to:
- Materials used in production where the materials are predominately made from reusable or renewable sources and/or have qualified for an industry standard
- Energy use choices - as typically indicated by the Energy Star label
- Water usage choices, following guidance from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPS) such as the WaterSense rating
- Sage $ - where we have information about how to save money over the longer term by using less energy
The concept of a visitor-friendly home is appealing but can be very challenging depending on who visits a home and what their needs are.
In the Health & Lifestyle section of each product guide, you will find a list of the features that you should consider if your goal is to have a visitor friendly home.
For safety tips about multiple users of a product in a home, see Multi-Gen/Use in Sage Tips.
Pets in a home can be a great source of companionship for empty nesters as well as Seniors.
A pet in the home, and how we physically interact with the pet, should influence some of the decisions about the products we purchase when we are improving home safety, remodeling/renovating or building a dream home.
We hope to introduce our Pet Icon in 2015.